Tuesday, September 3

Habits!

Have you ever tried to break a habit? If you have, I am sure you would say it is not as easy as some books say...that thing about 21 days to break a habit.

A few nights ago, I stayed awake till about 2am watching, no you could never guess; the TV series 24 . I mean, I did go crazy all those years ago when 24 was showing; same as most people out there. I watched all night, went to work the next day, wished the day passes quickly so I can rush back and do it all over again. It was a vicious circle and I marveled at how I survived the lack of sleep. Absolute madness.


But I weaned myself of it. I came out of that experience vowing that I would never be that way about any movie, ever again. I tried, because as I write, I chose what movie I watch and I do it on my own terms. Yes, I weaned myself.


Ok. But how come I am now glued to the same 24 so long after The Vow?? It is a break in habit.


Last year, I made a decision to break away from the (bad and very unladylike) habit of peeling at my lips! (Yeah, it's out there in the open now). Tough and difficult as it was, I willed myself, and I counted the days as per the books. 21 days came and went and I resisted the urge. Fast forward a few months, I found my fingers straying to my lips, and gradually I realized that I was back to square one...the dog had gone back to its vomit. 


So, hanging out with 24 when I should have been sleeping, I asked myself just what it takes to be disciplined enough to not do what you have promised yourself you wouldn't do, and with such good intentions. But I refuse to be daunted. I have decided to re-approach this matter, but my strategy would be to take one day at a time (surely this should work!). Hopefully I shall discover one morning after the passage of time that a habit seem to have been completely broken! 


Do you think I am dreaming? :-) 

Be Free oh.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments! Please leave some...